| Childhood photo of me |
I am from Racine, Wisconsin, and I came here to study violin.
I have always been an artistic person. Right-brained, type B, whatever you want to call it.
| A sketch of my dog sleeping in the back of my violin journal |
Art and music provide a private catharsis for me. I have been playing the violin since I was 8.
I really don't like doing introductions. Vulnerability is hard for me, and self-reflection is a struggle.
Major depression and general anxiety plague my mind, clouding the lens though which I view the world and interact with it. There are a lot of things that scare me.
But despite all, there is a whirlwind of passions that I have acquired throughout my life, which fill me with wanderlust for this world of possibilities.
Things that particularly interest me include music (truly consider myself an omnivore), visual arts, geography, sci-fi, psychology, the human body, technology, exploring the outdoors, animals (tigers are my favorite), online communities and communication, history, and along all these things, the unseen and messy intrapersonal, social, and material influences that led to this present.
I am glad to be living in the information age, in which nearly the entirety of human knowledge is readily accessible to me. Like an all you can eat buffet for my brain, I can gorge myself on information, the creations and lives of others.
But... "Our new environment compels commitment and participation" (McLuhan, 24)
Participation?
Do I want to participate? How do I participate? How Should I participate?
I don't know what, how, or why I want to contribute, but creation is a gift we are meant to share.
Who I am
may not be up to me,
but I know that who I will be is not up to anyone else
"There is absolutely no inevitability as long as there is a willingness to contemplate what is happening" (McLuhan, 25)
| portrait of me at 18 |
No comments:
Post a Comment